RFN USA: A Global Gathering, 3-5 May 2017
- Global Gathering: 3-6 May 2017, Murphy Institute, CUNY New York
- Workers Unite! Film Festival: 5-25 May 2017, New York
DOWNLOAD SCHEDULE: RFN-NYC_Programme_web
WHAT IS THE NATURE OF RADICAL FILM CULTURES AROUND THE WORLD? HOW CAN RADICAL FILM CULTURES OPERATE SUSTAINABLY? WHAT NETWORKS / ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURES CAN ENABLE US TO WORK TOGETHER MORE EFFECTIVELY?
In advance of the Sixth Annual Workers Unite! Film Festival (2017), an international group of activists, artists, makers, distributors, exhibitors and academics will gather in New York City to discuss the future of politically-engaged, aesthetically innovative film culture around the world.
In a multi-media digital world riven by deepening inequality and rapidly dividing populations ill-served by the mainstream liberal-conservative media, we need ‘radical film’ – in all its plurality – today more than ever. This event is designed to build and strengthen relationships within the radical film community by bringing together people from across the Americas with those in the UK, and around the globe.
CALL TO PARTICIPATE
We anticipate a combination of group discussions, presentations, and networking events. There will also be a keynote presentation by the US radical film scholar, Chuck Kleinhans. We will be sharing more information in the coming months, but in the meantime please:
- REACH OUT: If you or your group would like to speak, facilitate a discussion or have ideas about the format of the conference, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and andrew@workersunitefilmfestival.
- REGISTER: Registration is essential so we know how many people to expect and can plan accordingly. Radical film culture is chronically under-funded and under-resourced, so attendance has been arranged on a sliding scale to ensure the maximum participation possible: those with institutional support are asked to give more to subsidise those without it.
NB. There are limited number of travel and accommodation bursaries for individuals from radical film organisations attending from outside of New York. Please contact us if you need one of these.
For more information please check out our FAQs below.
SUPPORTERS and SPONSORS – Contact andrew@workersunitefilmfestival for conference sponsorship and advertising opportunities.
Questions to be addressed at the conference include:
- What is the state of alternative/engaged/oppositional film cultures around the world?
- What individuals and organisations are involved? With what consequences?
- What are the challenges for production, distribution and exhibition?
- How can radical film cultures/organisations operate sustainably?
- What networks/organisational structures can enable us to work together more effectively? What scale – local, national, international – is appropriate?
- How can digital technologies be harnessed to support radical film networks?
- What kinds of communications platforms and strategies are most suitable?
- What sources and strategies of finance and funding are available, and should they be sought?
WORKERS UNITE FILM FESTIVAL
Filmmakers who wish to participate in the conference and have films screening at the film festival will be welcome as guests of the conference as well. WUFF will screen films for conference attendees on both Wednesday, May 3rd and Thursday May 4th. All conference attendees will be invited to attend opening night of the film festival on Friday May 5th at Cinema Village in NYC.
Delegates are requested to make their own accommodation arrangements but we are aware that NYC is prohibitively expensive. Please get in touch both if you have space/beds to offer and if you are interested in staying in accommodation offered by conference participants, and we will do our best to match people up. A list of affordable accommodation is available here: http://www.hostels.com/new-york/usa.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION BURSARIES
This conference is the third of four events in the ‘Sustaining Alternative Film Cultures’ project (2015-17), a two-year research project funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council in the UK. As part of the funding for that project, a limited number of travel and accommodation bursaries are available for individuals from radical film organisations outside of New York State to attend this event. To apply for a bursary please send a brief outline of your involvement in radical film culture to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
This gathering is a collaboration between members of the Radical Film Network (RFN) in the UK, an international network established in London in 2013, the Workers Unite! Film Festival (also RFN member) and the Murphy Institute for Worker Education & Labor Studies at the City University of New York (CUNY). Other major sponsors are Third World Newsreel (NYC, also RFN member), celebrating 50 years of distributing progressive films from around the world and The National Writers Union/NYC (a part of the United Auto Workers Union).